Tag Archives: Consultant

Timing ES Payments

Today TaxMama hears from Sue in Nevada with this question. “I am retired and working part-time as a consultant. All of my income is reported via ‘’1099’’ (not W-2). I must pay quarterly ‘’estimated taxes’’ (Form 1040-ES). If I pay the majority of my estimated taxes in December, will I be penalized?”

Modern Day Economics – Updated

SOCIALISM You have 2 cows. You give one to your neighbor. COMMUNISM You have 2 cows. The State takes both and gives you some milk. FASCISM You have 2 cows. The State takes both and sells you some milk. NAZISM You have 2 cows. The State takes both and shoots you. BUREAUCRATISM You have 2 […]

Double Dipping

Today TaxMama hears from Danny in New York City, who tells us, “In 2005 I was working for a consulting firm. as an employee doing doo-dad things for $20 an hour, part-time. In September, I became a consultant for them and worked full-time at a client company. When that happened (September) I continued to doo-dad […]

Paying Consultant

Today TaxMama hears from Stacy in Pleasanton, CA, who asks. “I paid someone for consulting. They do not have a business license. In order to not pay taxes on the money that was paid to the consulting firm, I was advised to 1099 them. Will I be exempt from paying taxes on the money I […]

Working Across State Lines

Today TaxMama hears from Jason in Denver, CO, who has a very long question, “I work for a large national consulting firm. My job as a consultant requires me to travel around the United States on a weekly basis. After spending a total of 30 days working in a state, they begin to take state […]

Consultant or Employee

Today TaxMama hears from Al from Monsey, NY wants to know, “If I am married and filing jointly; as a PC Programmer, should I get paid as an employee, with a W-2 or should I become a consultant and just freelance?”