Paying Quarterly

Today TaxMama hears from Bill in California, who tells us. “I am age 59 ½ and a recently retired federal employee (March 09). There is federal withholding on my pension, But I must file estimated taxes to the state of California on a quarterly basis. How can I file and pay?”

Dear Bill,

Congratulations on your early retirement. Hopefully, your pension will provide enough income to support through your many years of retirement.

The forms you use to pay California estimated tax payments are called the 540-ES forms. Each voucher has the mailing address on the bottom of the form.
California also has a WebPay option with no convenience fees:

Folks living in other states can find your ES forms by clicking on your state, here:

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about estimated tax payments and other tax issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

File Download (0:00 min / 0 MB)

Original audio source (0c272db7-2b4e-5e22-d88f-101325b2172c.mp3)

Your personal TaxMama is alive and well, answering your questions, and dreaming up ways to help you enjoy dealing with taxes – and paying less.