Old Ohio Taxes

Today TaxMama hears from Jimmy in the TaxQuips Forum with a distressing problem. “I received a notice from the State of Ohio Tax Bureau that I owe a large sum of taxes for 2004 and 2005. My taxes are taken directly out of my paycheck by my employer and I know that I paid my taxes for those years. However, I filed on my own and cannot find the copies of those returns. The State of Ohio sent this to a collector who sent me a notice that I had 60 days to pay the past due taxes. I have had little success in getting anyone to return my calls. I spoke to a person at the collection law firm who said they would check and get back to me, thinking that maybe the State lost my returns. But no one has called me back. I went onto the Federal Tax site and researched how to get my W-2’s from those years and it is going to cost several hundred dollars per W-2. 

My question is this…how can I remedy this is the least costly way? Short of paying a tax attorney for help, is there a way for the “little guy” to prove he has paid his fair taxes?”

Dear Jimmy,

It should not cost you a fortune to get your W-2s. You only need copies of two year’s tax returns with the W-2s – 2004 and 2005. It will cost you $57 per year to get those copies. Use Form 4506 . That’s $114.00 total. (Transcripts of the W-2s are free – but they don’t include state information.)

Since it’s so long ago, it may take a few weeks to get those copies. So, ask the collections folks to put the collections actions on hold until you can prove that you don’t owe this money.

Look what I found for you! The State of Ohio has a problem resolution office.  Give them a call and get their help on this. It’s free.

See, this is why I always tell people to keep a copy of all tax returns. Never throw them out! It’s usually the states that do this to you.

 And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about missing tax return copies, missing W-2s and other tax issues, free. Where? Where else? At www.TaxMama.com.

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the join TaxMama.com link – it’s free!] 

Please post all Comments and Replies in the new TaxQuips Forum .