Notary and Acceptance

Today TaxMama hears from Mack in the Tax Parlor, who wants to know. “Give me your spill on making money from home as a notary public? I’ve been a notary for over a year now, but haven’t really done anything with it. Could you give me some pointers?”

Hi Mack,

I don’t know where you are, but here in California they have something called a traveling notary. They go out to people’s home or offices to get complex packages of documents signed – for escrow companies or attorneys. See if that’s available in your area – and if the escrow companies can use your service.

Around here, you typically collect about $150 per visit.

Another thing you might consider, if there are a lot of immigrants in your area, is to sign up to be a Certified Acceptance Agent for IRS.,,id=96671,00.html

You would examine people’s documents and certify to IRS that they are valid, so these people can file their applications to get an ITIN. The advantage to the foreigner is that they won’t have to send their original documents to IRS with the application and risk losing their passports, birth certificates, etc.

You would be listed on IRS’s website, so people can find you.,,id=96304,00.html

You are welcome to charge whatever reasonable fee you can. You can get in touch with attorneys, tax professionals, banks and chambers of commerce in your area to let them know you’re available.

And remember, you’ll find answers to lots of questions about net operating losses and other tax information, free. Where? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

To make your comments, please visit TaxMama’s Parlor at

File Download (1:32 min / 0.3 MB)