Got 941

Today TaxMama hears from Sylvia in the Tax Parlor, who tells us. “After many years in business, my husband got an EIN last year so he could send out 1099s. Well, just after we finished filing our joint tax return this year, he gets a letter from IRS saying he has to file a quarterly Form 941. We don’t have any employees. Can’t we just file annually, the way we always have?”

Dear Sylvia,

Yes, I’ll bet that’s confusing. But don’t worry. Life won’t have to change just because you got an employer identification number.

The Form 941 is used to report wages and payroll tax withholding for his employees.

If your husband doesn’t have any employees, put -0- on all the lines.

Check the box on line 16 of the form where it says he has stopped paying wages.

Have him sign it and send it in before the end of this month.

IRS won’t bother him again – until he gets employees.

And remember, you’ll find answers to lots of questions about filing requirements, and other tax information, free. Where? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

To make your comments, please visit TaxMama’s Parlor at

  • Ask TaxMama :: Where taxes are fun and answers are free
  • :: Where TaxQuips will be moving & You can add your comments
  • IRS Form 941 :: Quarterly Payroll Tax Return

File Download (1:08 min / 0.3 MB)