Tips for Taxpayers Making a Move

If you changed your home or business address, you’ll want to remember these six tips to ensure you receive any refunds or correspondence from the IRS.

  • 1. You can change your address on file with the IRS in several ways:

      Correct the address legibly on the mailing label that comes with you tax package

      Write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return;

      Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year

      Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and signature. If you filed a joint return, be sure to include the information for both taxpayers. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, both taxpayers should notify the IRS of your new addresses

      Should an IRS employee contact you about your account, you may be able to verbally provide a change of address

  • 2. Be sure to also notify your employer of your new address so you get your W-2 forms on time.

  • 3. If you change your address after you’ve filed your return, don’t forget to notify the post office at your old address so your mail can be forwarded.

  • 4. Taxpayers who make estimated payments throughout the year should mail a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, or write the IRS center where you file your return. You may continue to use your old pre-printed payment vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones with your new address. However, do not correct the address on the old voucher.

  • 5. The IRS does use the Postal Service’s change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, but it’s still a good idea to notify the IRS directly.

  • 6. Visit for more information about changing your address. You can find the address of the IRS center where you file your tax return or download Form 8822, Change of Address. The form is also available by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).