Over the years, TaxMama® has learned that the hardest part about doing your tax return is organizing all the data you’ve collected all year. I also realized, early in life, working in accounts payable and payroll departments – that employees have a remarkable resistance to finishing up their expense reports so that they can reimbursed.
There seems to be some magical stumbling block that we put in our own way to avoid doing anything involving record-keeping. Even when we stand to gain tremendous benefits – like tax refund checks or expense reimbursement checks. This seems to be the case, even when we get penalized for lateness – like the company policy that states you won’t get reimbursed if you don’t submit your expense report within 90 days.
TaxMama® keeps looking out for ways to help you deal with the onerous task of logging data, keeping records, staying on top of your paperwork. Several years ago, I discovered Shoeboxed.com. A charming application and a fun team of people. They LIKE doing the stuff you HATE to do. All you have to do is get your records into their hands – and they do it all for you.
So, the question is – just how CAN you get things to them without just adding another burden to your already distracting day? I asked Mike Hourigan, Shoeboxed.com’s affiliate marketing manager to give me a list of all ways you can easily get data and records into their hands. Here’s what he put together for you. (But, I don’t think it’s a complete list. I really think you’re going to have fun discovering even more apps that will integrate seamlessly with Shoeboxed.com.)
- Shoeboxed turns your receipts, bills and other documents into organized, structured data so that you or your accountant no longer have to!
- Once the data is digitized, you can Export and Sync the 100%
Accurate and human verified entries to your Quickbooks Account.
The four simple steps
- Connect Shoeboxed.com to your Intuit Account
- Import any of your charts of accounts
- Select receipts to export
- Verify export (debit and credit accounts)
- You can also create unique rules for delegating whether your imported receipts go into a certain debit or credit account.
Manual entry is the worst part of accounting and bookkeeping. Wave and Shoeboxed.com make that disappear. Your Shoeboxed.com receipt data and images feed Wave. You can also connect your bank account or credit card to pull even more data automatically. Then Wave’s easy, accountant- approved tools make the rest of the work fast and easy.
Now you can always know where your business is financially. Know where your money is coming from and where it’s going to, so you can make the best decisions and maximize your profit.
Also, with Shoeboxed.com customers in mind, Wave created a feature to detect duplicate transactions. If a Shoeboxed transaction already appears in Wave, you can merge the records, keeping the attached receipt.
Shoeboxed users can automate the import of all Shoeboxed.com transactions into Outright.com, providing users with automated financial reporting and tax information to further simplifying bookkeeping.
- First, log into your Outright account and click on “Accounts” in the upper center of your account page. Click “Add New Account” and choose Shoeboxed from the list.
- Follow Outright’s easy instructions and click “Set up now.”
Ways to Send your documents into Shoeboxed.com
Think the only way to send all your documents into Shoeboxed.com is through their postage-paid envelopes? Think again. Shoeboxed.com offers over 10 completely free and electronic document submission options. All of the submission methods are super-fast and extremely easy!
– iPhone Receipt and Business card apps
– iPad Receipt and Business card apps
– Android Receipt App
– Shoeboxed.com Mobile uploader for camera phones that aren’t iPhones or Androids
– HP Printer’s Receipt and Business card scanning apps
– Shoeboxed.com desktop uploader for PC as well as Mac
– Forwarding online receipts to your unique Shoeboxed.com e-mail address
Exporting From Shoeboxed.com
Along with all of the accounting and bookkeeping programs you can export documents to, Shoeboxed.com also allows you to convert the data into a number of different formats which makes expense reporting, invoicing and contact list compiling much easier.
Documents within Shoeboxed.com can be exported in many formats including:
- Microsoft Excel
- PDF Expense Table with Receipt Images
- IIF file (Quickbooks)
- Xero / Saasu (CSV)
- Send to FreshBooks
- Send to Xero
- Send to Saasu
So…if you can get your act together and handle your own record-keeping – do it!
If not, why stress? Just turn it over to Shoeboxed.com and spend your time doing things you actually enjoy!