Year End Wedding

Today TaxMama hears from Annie in Alabama who tells us. “My daughter got married on 12/23/06. She is a full time student. Now her husband want to file with her. Can I still file with her as a dependent? Or does her husband get to file with her?”


Dear Annie,

If your daughter is married, she should be filing jointly with her husband…unless you’re still supporting her (or both of them) after the marriage. If he has little or no income in 2006, they may file jointly, but not use their personal exemptions.

If he does have income, he can certainly file a joint return with his wife – and you lose the dependency exemption and your head of household status all at one time.

The nice thing is – she got married. And you won’t be supporting any longer – hopefully.

The sad thing is, you supported her all year, and he only did for about a week – and you lose your dependent for the whole year.

So sorry.

And remember, you’ll find answers to lots of questions about dependents and other tax information, free. Where? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

To make your comments, please visit TaxMama’s Parlor at

  • Ask TaxMama :: Where taxes are fun and answers are free
  • :: Where TaxQuips will be moving & You can add your comments

File Download (1:08 min / 0.3 MB)

Leave a Reply