TaxMama s TaxQuips Ex Wife Got W-2


Today TaxMama® hears from p0pp0p  in the TaxQuips Forum, with this question.  “I worked with my wife at a small company in NJ. I left the company in June of last year. I also have separated from my wife. My ex-employer gave my W-2 to my wife. Is this legal? How do I get another copy of my W-2?”



Dear p0pp0p,

Your ex-employer probably didn’t GIVE the W-2 to anyone. They would have mailed it to the address on your employee file – unless they didn’t know your current address.

Hmmm…on the other hand, since your wife was still working there…they might have given it to her.

Did you give them a change of address when you moved?

Is that legal? Good question.

Do they know you’re separated and no longer living together?

Since I get the impression that your wife won’t give you a copy, the easiest thing to do is to call them and ask them for a copy. Always consider trying the direct approach first.

If that doesn’t work, come back and I’ll tell what else you can do, without causing you stress and conflict.

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about missing W-2s and other tax and business issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed version of TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the join link – it’s free!]

Please post all Comments and Replies in the new TaxQuips Forum .