SSN Error

Today TaxMama hears from Barbara who tells us, “I filed paper return on April 15th with the wrong social security number on it. What is the best way to correct this error?”

Hi Barbara,

Wait for it to process.
If you have a refund coming, wait to either receive the refund or a letter asking about the error.

If you don’t receive your refund within 5-6 weeks, call IRS.
buy temovate online no prescription

If you DO receive your refund, great!

THEN, file an amended return, a Form 1040X (and the related state return) and just correct your Social Security Number. There’s an area on the second page to enter your explanation.

Put the CORRECT Social Security Number(s) at the top of the form

And in the explanation, show the number you actually used on the tax return.

Nothing else should change.

Incidentally, if you sent money with your tax return, wait for the check to clear, plus about a month before you file the amended returns.

It’s quite likely that IRS’s computers will catch this error when they cross reference the SSN you used with your name. In which case, you won’t have to do the amended return – just respond to the letter they send you.
buy xifaxan online no prescription

Of course, you’ll still have to amend the state, because they have no way of catching this error.

Have fun!

And remember, you’ll find answers to questions about tax return errors and all kinds of tax issues, free.

Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting news about the IRS Exam. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

File Download (1:35 min / 0.4 MB)