Proof of Nothing

Today TaxMama hears from Maure in California with this dilemma. “I haven’t worked since 2006, and have been exempt from paying taxes. So I have no tax returns. However, for a Hospital’s Medical Assistance Program for my bill, I need to show recent 1040, and/or proof of no/low income. How do I get such documentation from the IRS, when there never was any required or filed?”

TaxMama answers a question on Tax

Dear Maure,

It’s remarkably hard to prove a negative, isn’t it?

OK, first of all, what have you been living on? Can you prove the source of your rent – and that it isn’t taxable? Did it come from Social Security? From Supplemental Security Income? From family or friends? Or are you living with family or friends?

That’s a big question. You’re living somewhere, eating, keeping cool – or warm, depending on the season, and you are clothed. How is that funded? So, prepare to show the source of your support.

Next, file a Form 4506-T to request copies of all income sources. Check boxes 7 & 8.

Box 7 is proof that you haven’t filed a tax return.

Box 8 will give you a printout of all the W-2s and 1099s issued under your Social Security Number. If the only income showing is non-taxable – or non-existent, that will help prove your case.

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about proving your income – or proving nothing – and other tax issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

File Download (0:00 min / 0 MB)

Leave a Reply