Payments Not Credited

Today TaxMama hears from Jackie who has this problem, “I got a bill from IRS for 2002 taxes. They say I owe $22,000. But I learned that they do not have all my W-2 withholding credited. How long do I have to file an amendment? And should I hire a tax attorney?”

Dear Jackie

You don’t need to file an amended return for that.

Just find your W-2s. Then, call the IRS phone number on the notice and ask someone at IRS to find out where they posted your withholding. They may be posted to the wrong year. Or there may have been an error in the Social Security Number on one or more of the W-2s.

Be prepared to fax or send them to IRS so they can match up the payments.

Once they do, you’re off the hook. See how easy that was?

If that’s the only problem, you don’t need an attorney. IRS will help you with this.

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about tax errors and all kinds of other tax issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

To make your comments, please visit TaxMama’s Parlor at

  • Ask TaxMama :: Where taxes are fun and answers are free
  • :: Where TaxQuips will be moving & You can add your comments

File Download (1:05 min / 0.2 MB)