New Baby New W-4

Today TaxMama hears from Lindsay in the TaxQuips Forum, with the right question at the right time. “I need to find out how to fill out a new W-4 since I recently had a baby. I had a baby in September. I am single, with one job. Should I claim 2 on my W-4, and should I claim 2 on the DE4 form as well? I want to get back as much money as possible on my pay checks, I don’t care about getting a lot of money back on my tax return.”

Dear Lindsay.

 You may want to do some computations to see exactly what to claim on that W-4.  Why?

If your income is low enough to qualify you for the earned income credit and the child tax credit, and if someone is caring for your baby while you work, a dependent care credit. You might not even have to pay any tax at all for IRS. You might even be getting a refund.  For state, you will have a tax liability.

You’ve already done your first tax return as a mother for 2010. Or you’re about to. See what your tax liability is there.

IRS has a nifty withholding calculator you can use to see what to put on your W-4. Try it.

For state, though, you’re probably right about the S-2.

 And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions withholding and other tax issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the join link – it’s free!]

Please post all Comments and Replies in the new TaxQuips Forum

Leave a Reply