Today TaxMama hears from Cindy in North Hollywood, CA who says. “I am 19 years old and am looking for a job that will hire me with an ITIN. Do you know of any websites or places? I have been looking around and just don’t get anywhere. Can you help me or give me any advice?”

Dear Cindy,

Frankly, no one can legally hire you with an ITIN. That doesn’t give you the legal authority to work. You might consider trying to get a work visa or some official authorization.  For those that don’t know, an ITIN is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.  IRS  issues ITINs to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration (SSA).  You can read more about ITINs here.

I don’t know of any websites or resources to help you. If you get a job, it’s through sheer luck, persistence, or knowing someone who’s willing to take the risk.

Employers are being provided with better tools to identify legitimate Social Security Numbers quickly. So IRS is holding them to stricter standards.

Federal laws are starting to provide more stringent penalties to employers caught hiring illegal workers.

I wish I could help you. But, if you’re going to be here in the long term, and need to make a living – get papers.
One thing you may be able to do is to start a business. You may be able to open a bank account with an ITIN. There are lots of businesses you can start, online or offline, that would allow you to support yourself.

You can wash pets, do baby-sitting, mow lawns, clean pools, start an errand service for seniors or those too busy to do things for themselves. Learn to do bookkeeping. Do it well and you’ll find lots of freelance opportunities. There’s always some one who can use help. Look around you
and pay attention. It’s not that hard to see a need and to fill it.

Be clever and creative – and you’ll do fine. Good luck!

And remember, you’ll find answers to questions about getting work and all kinds of tax issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

To make your comments, please visit TaxMama’s Parlor at

  • Ask TaxMama :: Where taxes are fun and answers are free
  • :: Where TaxQuips will be moving & You can add your comments

File Download (1:58 min / 0.4 MB)