Husband Passed Away

Today TaxMama® hears from Jeanne in the TaxQuips Forum, with a sad question.  “My husband passed away in May 2012. Could I file as head of household? And can I claim him for the full year?  He had income from SSI which had no taxes taken out.”

Ask TaxMama

Susan Holtgrefe our EA in Pennsylvania responds.

Hi Jeanne,

I am so sorry for your loss.

Fortunately you can still take advantage of filing Married Filing Jointly this year. You will need to write ‘deceased’ and the date of death after his name. Where his signature goes, sign it ‘Filing as surviving spouse’.

Next year, if you have a dependent child in the household, you may be able to use the Qualifying Widow status.

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about death, filing status and other tax and business issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed version of TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the join link – it’s free!]

Please post all Comments and Replies in the new TaxQuips Forum .