Filing in Canada

Today TaxMama hears from Todd in the TaxQuips Forum who is unsure. “I have a client who is a U.S. citizen, but has Canadian income. He is a software developer, living in Boulder, Colorado, with Canadian clients.

Does he need to file a Canadian return in addition to a US return, or is there some reciprocal treaty in place?”

Dear Todd,

Your software developer is doing the work in the US?

He is getting paid in the US?

In $US?

I don’t see any work being done in Canada, do you? Unless he is working in Canada, I don’t see a problem.

 Are they going to issue him any paperwork that says he has Canadian income, like their equivalent of 1099s?  If not, I wouldn’t worry about it.

If you are concerned, talk to a Canadian chartered accountant, or call  Revenue Canada and ask them specific questions once you have the details of the contractual arrangements.

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about Canadian income, and other tax issues, free.

Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the join link – it’s free!] 

Please post all Comments and Replies in the new TaxQuips Forum .