Filing with Old Computer

Today TaxMama hears from Dallas, who tells us. “I am retired from active practice for 3 years now. I still do my own return. My question is, can you recommend a very reasonable tax service for me? I have a 7 year-old Compaq computer, which was not able to use the free tax filing services. So I just typed up my returns. “

Dear Dallas,

I appreciate your dilemma with the old computer.

Are you not able to download a current browser?

If you don’t want to buy a whole new computer, see if you can simply upgrade your operating system. Sometimes, something as simple as that can extend the life of your computer for several more years.

Otherwise, I can’t really think of anything. I suspect that all the current tax prep software is soooo full of helps and doodads that it won’t run on a computer without the appropriate media cards.

Aaaah…. I have an idea. Have you been to your local pubic library lately? They generally tend to have Internet access. At no charge!

See if you gain access to an online filing site from there? If you can, set up a test account and play with it. If it works…you can always come back and prepare your tax
return at the library. Just be sure to close the browser when you’re done so none of your data is stored where some fool can easily access it.

Incidentally if you find this IS the case, perhaps you can arrange with the library to teach others do their own tax returns online from there?

And remember, you’ll find answers to lots of questions, about filing online, and other tax information, free. Where? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

To make your comments, please visit TaxMama’s Parlor at

  • Ask TaxMama :: Where taxes are fun and answers are free
  • :: Where TaxQuips will be moving & You can add your comments

File Download (0:00 min / 0 MB)