Claiming Niece

Today TaxMama hears from April in Kentucky who tells us, “My boyfriend has lived with me since Feb 2008. He has supported the household, and also my niece, who lives with us and I have legal custody of. I was wondering, can he claim my niece on his taxes?
buy levitra online no prescription

Dear April,

What a wonderful guy!

If your boyfriend provided more than half the support for your niece for the year – and has been doing so for more than 6 months, then – yes. He may claim an exemption for her on his tax return.

However, since he is not related to you, or to your niece, he cannot get ‘head of household’ status.

You can read IRS Publication 501 “Exemptions, Standard Deduction, and Filing Information” for more information.

I hope you continue to treat each other well and to prosper.

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about dependents and other tax issues, free.
buy doxycycline online no prescription

Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

File Download (0:00 min / 0 MB)

Leave a Reply