Change in Accounting Method

Today TaxMama hears from Rick in South Carolina with this question. “We have a small business producing conveyor replacement parts. We believe our physical inventory is grossly under valued. How can we re-evaluate this inventory and what permission do we need from the IRS?”

TaxMama answers a question on Tax

Hi Rick,

Personally, I’ve never done this before. So, if I were you, I’d look for someone who has. In this case, it’s likely to be a CPA, rather than an Enrolled Agent, since this is more of an accounting issue than a tax issue. Visit to find a CPA locally.

You would use Form 3115 to request approval .

You can find the instructions here. .

There may be a fee for this from IRS, I am not sure. Who knows, if you read the instructions, perhaps you can figure out how to do this yourself? Good luck!

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about changing accounting methods and periods and other tax issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

File Download (0:00 min / 0 MB)