Catch 22

Today TaxMama® hears from Gina in the TaxQuips Forum who’s going around in circles. “I have not been able to get in contact with my tax guy for months. I’m afraid he may be ill, dead or out of business – and I live too far away to go to his office. I sent my daughter’s tax info to him and she never got a refund from the IRS. When I call the IRS they want to know how much her refund is. I have no idea as I never got anything back from my tax guy. How can I find out where her refund is, if I can’t get thru to the IRS? The response is always – call back when you have the amount of the refund.”  

Ask TaxMama 

 Hi Gina, 

It’s easier than you think.  Do this. File a Form 4506-T requesting a transcript of the tax return. There is a no charge. Also on that form, request a record of account and a copy/transcript of all the third party documents (W-2, 1099s, etc.)*- just check ALL the boxes on the form and enter the year you want. 

If a tax return was filed, you’ll get the transcript. The record of account will tell you what happened to the refund, if it was issued. If there was no tax return filed, you’ll know that too. *You’ll have the information you need to file the return. 

You’ll also have all the information you need to have a conversation with the IRS. Now, in order to have that conversation with the IRS, as Paul Clausen, a Minnesota Enrolled Agent, points out, you need to have a signed power of attorney (Form 2848) from your daughter. 

And that’s all there is to it!

And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about getting what you need from the IRS other tax and business issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed version of TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the join link – it’s free!] 

Please post all Comments and Replies in the new TaxQuips Forum .