Adult Son

Today TaxMama hears from Charmaigne in the TaxQuips Forum, with a reasonable issue. “My son turned 26 in November of 2010 and has been out of work for over a year. He lives with me and I have supported him in every way, medical bills, dental bills, auto insurance, food, clothes, etc. Is there a way I can claim him as a dependent? Also after six months of being unemployed he began to receive unemployment income, which was just enough to cover gas and other job hunting expenses. Now he has to file a tax return.

Dear Charmaigne,

Since he earned over $3,650  – in wages and unemployment in 2010, you won’t be able to claim him as a dependent. (Unless he earned less than that?)

Sorry. I know you’ve spent a fortune – and that he’s trying to do his best to study and build a life.

Unfortunately, this time, the tax code won’t help you.

However, I believe you may be able to use his medical and dental expenses, if you are itemizing deductions. 

Perhaps he can get a tax credit for his tuition – and get money back from IRS for the American Opportunity Credit. 

I pray that he has a better year in 2010.  It certainly sounds as if he’s doing his best! Good luck to you both.

 And remember, you can find answers to all kinds of questions about adult children as dependents, and other tax issues, free. Where? Where else? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips by e-mail, that never appear on the site. Please click on the join link – it’s free!]

Please post all Comments and Replies in the new TaxQuips Forum .