Parents Property Exempt

Today TaxMama hears from Vivian in California who asks. “How do I get my parents property exempted from taxes? They are both retired & on Social Security. My dad has been on disability for years.”

Dear Vivian

Thank you for your note. I’m afraid that I don’t understand your question. Do you want to arrange for your parents’ property to be exempt from property taxes altogether?

That doesn’t happen. At least not in California.

However, there IS a program that the state of California has implemented for seniors with low incomes or disabled people. It allows them to defer paying their property taxes until after they have died. Here’s a link to the details at the State Controller’s website:

Naturally, the state will file a lien against the property. Generally, the taxes will become due upon death or sale of the home. However, if the home isn’t sold at death, if qualified individuals continue to live there, they may be able to qualify for the postponement.

The state also has a homeowners (or renters) assistance program that will provide $472.60 to help with the property taxes, or up to $347.50 for renters, to help with their rent.

Other states may have programs like this, too. Check with your state tax collector’s office.

And remember, you’ll find answers to lots of questions about tax benefits for seniors and other tax information, free. Where? At

[Note: If you were subscribed to the e-mailed TaxQuips, you’d be getting other exciting news and tips. Please click on the subscribe link and join us.]

File Download (0:00 min / 0 MB)