Tag Archives: Filing Status

Separate Newlyweds

Today TaxMama hears from Ingrid in Illinois, who tells us. “We are over 40 and got married in December 2008. We have two homes, separate bank accounts, and maintain our own households. Can we each file Head-of-Household for 2009?”

Around the Water Cooler

Today TaxMama hears from Pam in Florida. She says, “My husband asked me if we would be better filing separately, I told him he is crazy. Someone at work told him since I am disabled, drawing my Social Security Disability, that he would be better off filing separately. And if he wouldn’t have to put […]

Claiming Girlfriend

Today TaxMama hears from Sharon in North Carolina with this challenge. “One of my colleagues and I got into a “heated” discussion last night and I wanted to get your take on this filing status question. On a 1040, can a “boyfriend” claim a “girlfriend” if she lived with him all year and makes less […]

New Rules for Qualifying Child

Tax Provisions in HR 6893 Signed Into Law Oct 7, 2008 In addition to the Emergency Economic Act of 2008, President Bush has signed a little known Act which contains a clarification of the uniform definition of a qualifying child for purposes of the dependency exemption, EITC, dependent care, and HH filing status. This change […]

California FTB News Flash – Wrong IRA Deduction AGI Phaseouts Published

Courtesy of Spidell Publishing Inc. The FTB stated that the instructions for Schedule CA (540 and 540NR), California Adjustments, contain the wrong phase out amounts on line 32 (IRA Deduction) for taxpayers using the married filing joint and qualifying widow(er) filing statuses. In turn, most, if not all, tax software is also using the incorrect […]

Choose the Simplest Federal Tax Form for Your Needs

Courtesy of the Internal Revenue Service TT-2008-05 The three forms used for filing individual federal income tax returns are Form 1040EZ, Form 1040A and Form 1040. If you are filing a federal income tax return on paper, use the simplest form you can. Using the simplest allowable form will reduce the chance of an error […]

Love Across State Lines

Today TaxMama hears from Mary in Georgia who tells us, “I live and work in Georgia. My spouse lives and works in New York. We will file a federal return together. But do we file state returns together? Do I pay NY state tax on my GA income; and does he pay GA tax on […]

Common-Law Status

Today TaxMama hears from Lisa in Texas who tells us, “I went to new tax preparer this year. My husband and I are common law married and we live in Texas. For the past couple of years the other tax person filed us with me as head of household and my husband as single. The […]

Head of Dependent

Today TaxMama hears from Greg in Indiana, who says. “My gay partner and I have lived together for 2 years. 2005 was the first full year we have lived under the same roof. I pay more than 60% of the household items (rent, insurance, food etc.) Can I legally file as head of household? Does […]

Married or Otherwise

Today TaxMama hears from Karin in Jacksonville, Florida, who tells us “I was single for most of 2005. Now my husband and I are trying to figure out the best way to file, since for that time I was head of my household, paying daycare expenses and etc. Any advice? He has already filed Married […]

Married, Sort of

Today TaxMama hears from Rachel who appeals for help “Please help me figure out my status for next year’s taxes! My boyfriend and I plan to be married for commitment purposes. But I want to file as single because I don’t want my parents to find out my marriage status for the next 2 years. […]

Not My Wife

Today Bill from Cinncinnati, OH wants to know. “I have what I think is a simple question. My fiance and I have lived together for over 2 years. She is now pregnant with my child and had an income of only $1400 last year. Is it possible for me to claim her as a dependant? […]